Face creams could be fatal in hospitals

  • Marie Claire is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn commission on some of the items you choose to buy.
  • Cosmetic products could be fatal for hospital patients

    Moisturisers could be fatal for hospital patients after a study revealed the products can transmit deadly bugs, a study has revealed.

    The news comes after five patients in intensive care contracted a life-threatening infection, which was traced to a body moisturiser belonging to one patient.

    The cream had been contaminated with a bug known as Burkholderia cepacia before it was opened. The bacteria is normally found in soil and water and is harmless to healthy people but is seriously dangerous for sick patients with weak immune systems.

    The infection broke out at the Unversitari del Mar Hospital in Barcelona where it is common practice to apply moisturiser to patients after bathing them.

    The authors of the study wrote: ‘Moisturising body milk is a potential source of infection. In severely ill patients, the presence of bacteria in cosmetic products, even within accepted limits, may lead to severe life-threatening infections.’

    The creams have now been withdrawn from all hospital units and the bug eradicated, after the first ever outbreak known to be caused by a cosmetic product.

    Reading now