Wether you’re running the London marathon for the first time this year, or are spurred on for signing up in 2020, it’s quite the challenge if you’re a beginner. However it’s entirely doable, if you follow these simple survival tips from Leo Savage, trainer at Third Space Tower Bridge.
1. Be sure to hydrate before during and after the race.
2. Don’t change and do anything drastic come race day. Try and mimic the conditions you have been training in, this is what your body will be used to. Same trainers, no taking new fancy supplements for the first time on race day.
3. Respect your pace. The atmosphere will lend itself to you flying out of the blocks. But stick to your plan.
4. ENJOY IT. The London marathon is one of the most popular races in the world and you’ll be a part of it. Don’t forget to use the energy from the crowds.
5. If you notice someone running in front of you at a similar speed to you on race day, use them as a pacer. It distracts you from staring at your watch to see your time/pace.
6. Don’t overdress. You’ll be running for a number of hours and want to be as comfortable as you can be, so pay attention to the weather and dress accordingly