Doctor warns of festive food injuries

  • Marie Claire is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn commission on some of the items you choose to buy.
  • An injury warning has been issued by emergency staff to those preparing Christmas dinner while drunk.

    An injury warning has been issued by emergency staff to those preparing a Christmas dinner while drunk.

    According to Dr John Heyworth, emergency department consultant at Southampton General Hospital, the most common problems are burns from the oven and people choking on turkey.

    ‘Every Christmas without fail we see the same injuries caused by preparing and cooking the Christmas dinner,’ said Dr Heyworth. 

    ‘People are likely to burn themselves on the oven or cut themselves as they carve the turkey- particularly if they have been drinking alcohol.

    ‘We will always see someone who chokes over Christmas, often the elderly. They will choke on a piece of meat because they don’t chew it properly.

    ‘If people are looking after or hosting elderly people for Christmas dinner, it is important to take extra care of them.’

    And it doesn’t end there. Medics have also reported rather more embarrassing injuries, including people getting their eyelids stuck in zips as they try on new jumpers.

    Perhaps we should all take note and consider laying off the sherry until after dinner?

    Get in touch if you’ve ever experienced a Christmas casualty by adding your comment below.

    Click here for more health news

    Reading now