Cure found for peanut allergy

  • Marie Claire is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn commission on some of the items you choose to buy.
  • Doctors develop therapy for potentially deadly allergy

    Feeding children tiny amounts of peanuts over a long period may cure them of one of childhood’s most deadly allergies, new research suggests.

    American scientists conducted tests on 33 children, feeding them tiny amounts of peanut and building this up. After 10 months of treatment, all but four could tolerate peanuts.

    Previously these children were at risk of extreme anaphylactic reactions, and even death.

    The therapy must be carried out under medical supervision and parents should not try this at home, reports the Telegraph. The researchers recommend starting with as little as one-thousandth of a peanut sprinkled on food, gradually building this up to around 15 nuts.

    This research follows a similar breakthrough by British doctors, in a study at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge. Previous to this, attempts at desensitisation for peanut allergy have failed.


    Reading now