A superior fried cheese sandwich.
Translated, mozzarella in carozza means ‘mozzarella in a carriage’, and is basically a superior fried cheese sandwich, which must be eaten hot while the cheese is still molten. Cow’s milk mozzarella doesn’t have the same texture or flavour as buffalo mozzarella, and is best used for cooking. Serve this with a plate of Parma ham, some olives and sliced ripe tomatoes.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
• 8 slices of good-quality, hearty bread, such as ciabatta
• 3 cow’s milk mozzarella, thickly sliced
• leaves of about two sprigs of thyme (optional)
• salt and freshly ground pepper
• 2 eggs
• 100ml milk
• a little plain flour
• a knob of butter and a little olive oil, for frying
1) Make the sandwiches using the bread, mozzarella, a sprinkling of thyme, if using, and seasoning.
2) Beat the eggs with the milk and plenty of seasoning, then pour into a shallow bowl. 3) Lightly press each side of the sandwiches in flour, then dip in the egg mixture, pressing down so that the bread soaks up some of the liquid.
4) Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan and cook the sandwiches over a fairly high heat for a few minutes on each side until golden brown and crisp.
5) Drain on kitchen paper and eat straight away.