Indulge with this sumptuously sweet chocolate and ice cream dessert
Ingredients for 27 profiteroles
• 65g plain flour
• 50g butter
• 150ml water
• 2 eggs, beaten
• ice cream, to serve For the chocolate sauce:• 100g good quality chocolate
• 200ml double cream
• splash of your favourite liqueur
1) Sift the flour onto a plate.
2) Put the butter and water in a pan and heat gently until the butter dissolves, then bring quickly to the boil.
3) Turn off the heat, then add the flour all at once. Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a ball in the pan. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then add the beaten egg a little at a time, whisking thoroughly as you go (an electric hand-held whisk is best for this). Keep going until all of the egg is added — the mixture should stay thick and smooth.
4) Line two baking sheets with non-stick baking parchment. Put teasponnfuls of the mixture spaced well apart on the sheets, then bake at gas mark 6/200ºC/400ºF for 15-20 minutes until the profiteroles are risen and a lovely brown colour.
5) Remove from the oven, make a small cut in each, then return to the oven for 5 minutes to let the steam escape and prevent them from going soggy. Leave to cool.
6) Meanwhile, heat the chocolate and cream until the chocolate melts, then add the liqueur. 7) To serve, split the profiteroles and fill with your favourite ice cream, pour over the hot chocolate sauce and sprinkle with crystallised rose petals (available from Waitrose).