Serve this chicken liver pâté as an alternative Christmas Day starter
Serve this chicken liver pâté in espresso cups with melba toast as an alternative Christmas Day starter.
• 25g butter
• a few sprigs of thyme, leaves only
• a couple of sprigs of rosemary, leaves only
• a splash of brandy or sherry
• 1tbsp tomato ketchup
• 4tbsp double cream
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• about 100g butter, to seal
• a few pink peppercorn
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 garlic clove, chopped
• 500g chicken livers, trimmed
1) Melt the butter in a frying pan and gently sauté the onion and garlic until softened.
2) Add the chicken livers and herbs and fry for 5 more minutes, until the livers are cooked through.
3) Splash in the brandy and cook over a high heat for a couple of minutes to reduce, then add the ketchup, cream and plenty of seasoning.
4) Simmer gently for a couple of minutes and leave to cool.
5) Purée in a blender, but don’t make it absolutely smooth — a few chunks are quite nice. 6) Taste again and season if necessary.
7) Spoon into six individual serving dishes and level the tops.
8) Melt the remaining butter and pour into a jug. Leave to cool slightly without disturbing so that the sediment sinks to the bottom. Carefully pour onto the pâtés to seal, covering the tops completely.
9) Decorate with a few peppercorns and chill until set. It will also keep for three days in the fridge if you want to make in advance.