It’s that time of year where you reflect on your wins and fails of the year, and look ahead to up your game in 2019, and that obviously includes fashion. I would say that for 2018, shell jewellery, slip skirts and checked blazers have been a major win on social media and IRL. So, what to expect next year?
The team at Pinterest have handily compiled a guide to what they think are going to be major fashion trends, and it’s quite fascinating.
- Just kente get enough: From dashikis to cocktail dresses, African wax prints and kitenges look stunning on every continent. (Searches for african print fashion +229%)
- Up your shell game: Hares beware: slow and steady wins the race with these versatile, sophisticated tortoise earrings. (Searches for tortoise earrings +679%)
- Slay in your lane: People are riding high on bike shorts, for everything from workout wear to statement wear. (Searches for biker shorts +1323%)
- Wrap stars: cosy, chic robe silhouettes mean never having to choose between comfort and style again. (Searches for robe silhouettes +689%)
- Mod squad: People are going from zero to incognito in an instant with beautifully blocky oval sunglasses. (Searches for oval sunglasses +591%)
- That bamboo you do: Stay connected to nature by carrying all the essentials in a striking, structured handbag. (Searches for bamboo bags +2215%)
- Ruche hour: Flatteringly gathered gowns, trousers and coats are sending ripples through the style world in 2019. (Searches for rouche +108%)
- Say it with sneakers: Finally feet get the starring role they deserve, supported by kickin’ colours and lit laces. (Searches for statement sneakers +2211%)
- Second skin: Step aside, leopard print! This hypnotic pattern just slithered into the lead (and tights and skirts and…). (Searches for snake print +642%)
- Ethical threads: Rentable looks and recycled materials make for world-stopping looks that don’t punish the planet. (Searches for sustainable fashion +34%)
That’s your cue to stay ahead of the fashion game. Happy New Year.