A delicious and simple dessert, that's perfect if you've got friends coming over, but you're short of time and inspiration.
You’ve got friends coming over, but you’re short of time and inspiration. Don’t panic. Ease into entertaining with this delicious and effortless dish.
• 375g ready-rolled pastry
• lemon curd
• 2 egg whites
• 120g caster sugar
1) Roll out the pastry to make it a little thinner. Cut out six discs, using a saucer as a guide, and use to line a deep muffin tin. Trim the pastry if necessary. Fill with greaseproof paper and baking beans and cook at gas mark 6/200ºC/400ºF for 10 minutes.
2) Remove the paper and beans and cook for a further 5 minutes or until pale brown. Leave to cool. Store in an airtight tin or freeze if you like.
3) To finish, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Gradually add the sugar, whisking all the time.
4) Put the pastry cases on a baking sheet and three-quarters fill with lemon curd (see our recipe to make your own).
5) Swirl the meringue on top and cook for 5-10 minutes at gas mark 4/180ºC/350ºF until just tinged with brown. Nicest served on the day, but can be made the day before.