Families of the victims of the 7/7 bombings have been warned that they could have been targeted by the Sunday tabloid whilst grieving for their loved ones
As we approach the sixth anniversary of the London bombings, familes of the victims have been shocked to learn that they, too, could have been targets in the News of the World phone-hacking scandal.
Graham Foulkes, who lost his son David in the Edgware Road blast, told the BBC he was contacted by officers on Tuesday after his details were found on a list as part of the police inquiry.
‘My wife and I were kind of all over the place, we were chatting to friends on the phone, in a very personal and deeply emotional context,’ says Mr Foulkes. ‘The thought that somebody may have been listening to that just looking for a cheap headline is just horrendous.’
This shocking revelation is the latest twist in a long line of allegations held against the Sunday tabloid.
Yesterday, following allegations that murdered teenager Milly Dowler’s phone had been hacked by a News of the World investigator, it emerged that relatives of the murdered schoolgirls Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman had also been contacted by police investigating the phone-hacking scandal.
Former editor Rebekah Brooks is now under increasing pressure to stand down from her position as chief executive of News International, but she says it was ‘inconceivable’ that she knew anything of these atrocious breaches of privacy.
In a memo to staff sent on Tuesday, Ms Brooks said the allegations were ‘almost too horrific to believe’ and that she was ‘sickened’ by them.
News International has promised the ‘strongest possible action’ if it is proven Milly’s phone was hacked.
‘We have been very transparent with police, very open,’ says a spokesman for News International. ‘We have a co-operative relationship.’