There's no denying investing in certain designer handbags or designer shoes can be well worth it, as pick them right and they will only increase in value, so that if you can bear parting with them later down the line, you'll make a tidy profit.
Plus, buying pre-owned luxury fashion items goes a long way towards making your wardrobe more sustainable. So you'll be pleased to hear that Vestiaire Collective is opening a pop-up in Selfridges for the first time, open for two weeks from 22nd October.
Whilst you'll be able to shop all matters of items, like Chanel belt bags and Dior monogram bags, these are the items that you'd be smart to buy, according to Vestiaire's Head of Vintage, Marie Blanchet (and as you might've guessed Céline with an é is right up there).
- Among the young brands, I think about Calvin Klein 205W39NYC, I'm sure the Raf Simons collections will become a good investment. The Western Chris Leather ankle boots are already iconic!
- The Jacquemus collections also, each show is unique and the pieces are very different from one season to another.
- I really believe in the Joseph brand too, I think the brand is going to get some of Celine's customers, the silhouettes are very similar to the Phoebe era.
- As for the iconic pieces that do not lose value, I think of the Saint Laurent western boots and blazer, Burberry (one of Trench's from Christopher Bailey's last collection), Rolex watches, and of course Chanel and Hermes!
- Hermes is the brand that continues to prove its worth. Invest in a Birkin and Kelly; Kelly in size 20 or 28 cm. Tip: buy a vintage Kelly bag in a good condition - it doesn't have to be perfect, take it to the Hermes Bag Spa in Paris and they can give the product a special treatment for the leather, it looks like new afterwards!
- Chanel bags from the 90s are a great investment, and you should buy rare colours as the production is more limited so it's more difficult to get a hold of making them even more desirable and in demand.
- Visits to Vestiaire for Celine started to incline mid august and increased further at the beginning of September, by 275% (this is when Hedi released the first visuals of Celine on Social media and concern of the aesthetic change of the house among Celine fans started). Popular items have been those with classic Celine aesthetic, and the 'Classic' bag has been the most popular product sold over the last month.
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
Penny Goldstone is the Digital Fashion Editor at Marie Claire, covering everything from catwalk trends to royal fashion and the latest high street and Instagram must-haves.
Penny grew up in France and studied languages and law at the Sorbonne Nouvelle University in Paris before moving to the UK for her MA in multimedia journalism at Bournemouth University. She moved to the UK permanently and has never looked back (though she does go back regularly to stock up on cheese and wine).
Although she's always loved fashion - she used to create scrapbooks of her favourite trends and looks, including Sienna Miller and Kate Moss' boho phase - her first job was at MoneySavingExpert.com, sourcing the best deals for everything from restaurants to designer sales.
However she quit after two years to follow her true passion, fashion journalism, and after many years of internships and freelance stints at magazines including Red, Cosmopolitan, Stylist and Good Housekeeping, landed her dream job as the Digital Fashion Editor at Marie Claire UK.
Her favourite part of the job is discovering new brands and meeting designers, and travelling the world to attend events and fashion shows. Seeing her first Chanel runway IRL at Paris Fashion Week was a true pinch-me moment.
America Ferrera's powerful speech in Barbie has resurfaced amid her words on body positivity
By Jenny Proudfoot
Prince William and Princess Kate have released their official Christmas card photograph
By Jenny Proudfoot
As a beauty editor I'm sceptical of hyped-up products, but Rare Beauty's Soft Pinch Liquid Blush is *that* good
Trust me, I've tried a lot of them
By Lucy Abbersteen