The Marie Claire fashion team visits Manhattan for a glamorous photo shoot
We stayed at…
The Peninsula New York, a five-star monumental Beaux Arts hotel in midtown Manhattan with elegant rooms and marble bathrooms. Star draws are Salon de Ning, a rooftop bar themed on 30s Shanghai, and The Peninsula Spa by ESPA, with a wrap-around terrace overlooking 5th Avenue. In May, doubles cost from about £603 – check the website for special offers. British Airways has return flights from London from £368 including taxes.
While you’re there…
1. Take a horse-drawn carriage ride round Central Park. It’s a cliché, but fun. They cost about £23 per half an hour for up to four people.
2. Visit Museum of Modern Art and see works by photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson until 28 June.
3. Find that perfect restaurant with A Hedonist’s Guide to Eat New York (£9.99, Hg2). For a definitive steak and chips, we recommend Raoul’s.
4. Get shopping. If you’re after something independent, check out Brooklyn Collective.
5. Get planning at nycgo.com and buy weekly mag Time Out New York for what’s on.