Idris Elba was the main attraction at the Tanqueray Gin Palace opening last night, but what did we learn about the impossibly dashing star of The Wire?
1) The man loves his gin. We met Mr Elba at the opening of the Tanqueray Gin Palace on Floral Street in London. Giving a toast to celebrate the launch and what would have been the late Charles Tanqueray’s birthday, he said: ‘As people turn to classic cocktails, the gin palace is fast becoming a new trend on the London bar scene. I’m excited to have experienced this modern-day version for myself tonight and I’m sure many more will be springing up across the capital soon!’
2) His power to charm the ladies is second to none. I confidently strode up to Idris at the party, mumbled something about working for Marie Claire and then proceeded to blush and fall apart under his no nonsense gaze. His hand on the small of my back during the photo below (that’s me on the left) didn’t help matters much.
3) He’s a big fan of Rosario Dawson’s mum. The beautiful actress was also at the event and we overheard her saying that whenever they bump into each other at events, he ‘always asks about my mum; she knows how to leave an impression.’
4) He’s into extreme sports. He told us that he was ‘hoping that the weather clears up quickly as he is planning to go white water rafting in Wales over the Easter weekend’.
5) He’s a softie, but in a manly way, of course. Earlier in the day Idris had attended the Prince’s Trust Success Awards and he told us that he had a tear in his eyes at some of the moving stories he heard at the event. All together now: aaahhhhh.
6) His next film is going to be awesome. When we asked him about his next movie, Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom’, Idris told us that he’s dead chuffed with it. ‘I’ve finally seen the final edit of the film and I’m really proud to be a part of it.’
7) He’s a bit jetset. Idris, who’s taking a bit of a break from acting to concentrate on his music (he calls himself Driis), had flown in from Miami, where he performed at the Winter Music Conference, and went straight to the Prince’s Trust Awards.
The Tanqueray Gin Palace opens to the public on 27th and 28th March so gin aficionados can ease into the Easter break while enjoying unique cocktails in the setting of the 19th Century gin palace as re-imagined by Tanqueray.