Luxury handbag designer sues holiday firm after being poisoned by toxic fish

  • Marie Claire is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn commission on some of the items you choose to buy.
  • Bride who was poisoned by fish on five star honeymoon is suing holiday firm

    One of Kate Middleton’s favourite handbag designers is suing a holiday firm for hundreds of thousands of pounds after she caught food poisoning from an exotic fish on her honeymoon.

    Melissa Ker, who owns fashion label Meli Melo contracted a potentially life-threatening stomach bug after eating the ‘large reef fish’ during the £8,500 week-long trip to Zanzibar.

    She and her husband Douglas are claiming they suffered from stomach upsets, cramps and fatigue after eating the fish.

    Although Douglas, 35, an insurance boss, recovered quickly, his 33-year-old wife claims the illness left her with such crippling stomach pains that she had to have surgery and suffered depression after still being affected by the illness two years later.

    Melissa, whose customers also include A-listers Kate Moss, Sienna Miller and Dannii Minogue, alleges the poisoning caused her health problems when she was pregnant and still is ‘very limited in what she eats’.

    The couple are suing holiday firm Ultimate Honeymoons, claiming the owners are liable for hotel staff failing to test for toxins and supplying fish ‘not of satisfactory quality’.

    The firm denies liability.

    MORE WORLD NEWS

    Reading now

    Popular