But one thing that you and your partner may spend a lot of time mulling over is the song you choose for your first dance. While some couples instantly agree, others may have to compromise when picking the right track.
However, a new study shows that there's way more to your wedding song than you might think.
According to a survey by OnBuy, there are a number of popular melodies that end in a happy ever after - and some that, well, don't. The aim was to see if there was a connection between divorce rates and first dance songs.
They asked 5,544 people worldwide which tune they chose and their current marital status. They then ranked the top 25 dance songs and calculated its marital status counterpart.
The data found that the most popular first dance song is an unsurprising selection, with 10.48% of votes going to Elvis Presley Can't Help Falling In Love.
It also revealed that the secret song to a happy marriage is Can You Feel The Love Tonight by Elton John, with 77% of those who chose it remaining in their marriage. It also appears that you're more likely to stay wed if you have a Disney track as your first dance, with over 70% still together.
However, if you want to avoid a split, they key is not to play Little Things by One Direction, as 75% of those surveyed who did ended up separating. Oh dear.
So what are the most popular - and promising - first dance songs? Let's take a look...
Top First Dance Songs
The most popular first dance songs are...
- Can't Help Falling In Love, Elvis Presley - 10.48%
- Your Song, Elton John - 9.83%
- Can You Feel The Love Tonight, Elton John - 9.24%
- Perfect, Ed Sheeran - 7.58%
- A Whole New World, Lea Salonga and Brad Kane - 7.27%
- You'll Be In My Heart, Phil Collins - 6.13%
- I Don't Want To Miss A Thing, Aerosmith - 5.52%
- At Last, Etta James - 5.18%
- (Everything I Do) I Do For You, Bryan Adams - 4.55%
- A Thousand Years, Christina Perry - 3.54%
Top Happily Ever After Songs
These are the tunes that ended in true love...
- Can You Feel The Love Tonight, Elton John - 77% remain together
- Isn't She Lovely, Stevie Wonder - 75% remain together
- The Way You Look Tonight, Frank Sinatra - 74% remain together
First Dance Songs Most Likely To End In Divorce
- Little Things, One Direction - 75% split
- I'm Yours, Jason Mraz - 61% split
- Chasing Cars, Snow Patrol - 56% split
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
Jadie Troy-Pryde is News Editor, covering celebrity and entertainment, royal, lifestyle and viral news. Before joining the team in 2018 as the Lifestyle and Social Media Editor, she worked at a number of women’s fashion and lifestyle titles including Grazia, Women’s Health and Stylist, and now heads the Marie Claire UK news desk.
Reformation's Black Friday sale is now up to 25% off site wide- and we've handpicked all the best pieces
These are guaranteed to sell out.
By Sofia Piza
The Jigsaw Black Friday sale is here and you can get 30% off coats, knitwear, and shoes
Offering an extra 50% on occasionwear today only
By Sofia Piza
This Dyson Corrale deal gets you £200 off right now
By Dionne Brighton