How to look haute everyday
The Haute Couture autumn/winter 16/17 shows draw to a close today, and they have not disappointed, bringing with them the usual frothy frippery and otherworldly sets. Off the catwalk, we’ve been glued to the avenues and rues too, where the style inspiration has been just as jaw-dropping.
Street style has established itself as a fashion week spectacle in its own right. But as well as pouring over the models in their slick AF off-duty style and sleekly-attired fashion editors, the haute couture show-goers provide aspirational dress codes on a whole other level.
Arriving in a stretch limo and a plume of Chanel No.5, they teeter across the rues, air-kissing their way to the front row. This season, ballgowns are acceptable at a 10am show, while dressing gowns are aprés boum appropriate. It bags are mini, but the sleeves they swing off have been pumped up to the max.
Read on for all the haute style lessons we learnt this season…
1. Shrink your bag, supersize your clothes
2. Chuck a casual jacket over a couture dress on Fridays
3. Ditch your neckscarf and nonchalantly loop on a men’s tie instead
4. Wearing your nightwear outside is no longer low brow (as long as its pure silk or plush velvet)
5. Elevate your day dress
6. Channel your inner flamenco emoji
7. Invest in a statement shirt
8. Do not fear power prints
9 . Flapper skirts look seriously fun to wear