Amy Winehouse's former hubby Blake describes the night she nearly died of an overdose
Blake Fielder-Civil has claimed that Amy Winehouse nearly died in his arms one night after a massive drugs binge.
The singer’s former husband told how she suffered a fit, passed out and stopped breathing one night after a three-day bender on heroin and crack.
‘It was nearly midnight and I’d finally got her upstairs. We were sitting on the bed talking,’ he says. ‘Her eyes suddenly went blank.’
‘She started having a fit on the bed. She slid down on to the floor before I could stop her.
‘She started quivering again and it suddenly grew into what seemed like a full-blown epileptic fit.’
The 27-year-old then described how he pulled Amy’s tongue out of her mouth so she would not bite it, and breathed air down her throat.
Amy had allegedly started a drink and drugs binge in a pub near Heathrow three days earlier to celebrate the success of her 2006 album Back to Black.
She was reportedly taken to London’s University College Hospital, where she was put on a drip.
Fielder-Civil – who recently divorced Amy on the grounds of adultery – said he had been taking drugs too, but claimed that he did encourage her to stop her drug habit.
He said: ‘She had everything going for her. But she ended up behaving badly just to shock. After a while that just becomes a bore. I wanted her to stop.
‘Amy is a fun girl. She’s quite wild, but it’s only on drink and drugs with her.
‘It’s just a shame because she’s very funny, very clever and she’s very loving.’
He added: ‘But she just put everything that is going for her – all that talent and personality – and hid them behind drink and drugs.’