Delicious pancakes, served with smoked salmon and sour cream sauce
• 18 Bleiker’s Romanov smoked salmon slices (or alternative smoked salmon)
For the sauce:
• 100g clarified butter
• 50g butter
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 100g sour cream
• 1tbsp salted baby capers
• 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
To make the pancakes:
1) Place the flour in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Ensure your milk is just barely warm.
2) Add the sugar and salt to the milk, mix well and stir in the egg yolk and yeast. Mix until all is dissolved, then pour into the flour and mix slowly until you get a smooth consistency.
3) Leave to settle in a warm place for about 1 to 2 hours, until the dough has doubled in size.
4) Stir the sour cream into the dough and then whisk the egg whites to soft peaks and fold into the pancake dough.
To cook the pancakes:
5) Place a heavy non-stick frying pan on a high to medium heat.
6) Using a pastry brush, brush the pan with some butter.
7) Ladle a couple of dessert spoonfuls of the dough into the frying pan and cook for about 40 seconds or until golden brown, then flip over with a spatula and cook for another 40 seconds.
To make the sauce:
8) Heat the lemon juice and butter together.
9) Whisk and when butter has dissolved remove from heat.
10) Allow it to cool slightly, then add to the sour cream and mix well.
11) Serve a pancake topped with a slice of smoked salmon, a dollop of the lemon sauce and sour cream mixture and capers.
12) Sprinkle with parsley and serve.