It might seem like smashed avo on toast is over, but our love of anything avocado-related is still going strong, judging by how it affects our daily life. For example, did you know there is an avocado job where you can eat the fruit (yes, it’s a fruit) for a living, and that avocards are a thing (where you present an avocado at a Virgin ticket office to get a cheaper train journey)?
The point is, most of us are buying avocados at least once a week, yet we’re still a little unsure as to how to make the most of it. Which is where plant-based chef and author Bettina Campolucci-Bordi comes in.
She is the influencer behind the genius @avodaily Instagram feed, which you guessed it, is all about avocados. She says, ‘avocados are not only super versatile, but they are also fun to eat and work with and have the extra added bonus of being a nutrient dense bundle of awesomeness!’
To help us make the most of our avocados, including how to make them last longer, she put together her top five tips and tricks to really celebrate this incredible ingredient.
1. Keep on the side until semi soft, then store them in the fridge, for maximum freshness.
2. If you want/need them to ripen quicker place them in a brown bag or next to bananas or apples.
3. Use lemon or lime juice to avoid an open avocado from browning – just rub it on the flesh.
4. Mash them up, place in an ice-cube tray and freeze. Then pop into smoothies for added boost of frozen creaminess.
5. Use in Dairy-Free cakes as a replacement for fat to help keep the cake moist and delicious.