Bridget Jones is back in our lives this month as a 51-year-old mother of two in Mad About The Boy. But, in our hearts, Bridge will always be the ultimate 30-something single girl. Here are 8 life lessons we learned from the loveable Ms Jones.
1. Sometimes tiny knickers won't cut it. When it comes to bagging the guy you've been lusting after for yonks, Bridge taught us that it pays to bring out the big guns. 'Chances of reaching crucial moment greatly increased by wearing scary stomach-holding-in pants very popular with grannies the world over.' Duly noted, Bridget.
2. Stay AWAY from the bad boy. Yes, Daniel Cleaver types are ridiculously charming and sexy. But, no, they won't commit. And they will probably cheat on you and abandon you at your aunt's "Tarts and Vicars" party.
3. Alcohol and public speaking is never a good combination. Bridge taught us that if you're bad at remembering your lines in the first place ('Mr...Tits Pervert'), then downing a couple of glasses of champagne beforehand probably won't improve matters. And you will just end up taking solace in the arms of the afore-mentioned bad boy...
4. Sometimes, a lot of vodka (and Chaka Khan) is the only answer. Particularly if you've just found out that your boyfriend is cheating on you with an 'American stick insect'.
5. Never wear a skirt when climbing a fireman's pole. It won't end well.
6. First impressions aren't always correct. The stranger wearing the ridiculous reindeer jumper could turn out to be the man of your dreams. So don't jump to conclusions too early. And even if you do overhear him calling you a 'verbally incontinent spinster, who smokes like a chimney, drinks like a fish and dresses like her mother', you may still be on to a winner...
7. Always double, and then triple, check a fancy dress party invitation. If Bridget taught us anything, it's that we never want to get caught out looking like 'a common prostitute' at a family party.
8. Happy endings do happen. We'll all find our own Mr Darcy... one day.
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
Forget the South of France in summer, winter’s the time to go
By Penny Goldstone
The biggest dating trends for 2024 might just get you back on the apps
Feeling jaded by modern dating? Take a look at this
By Lauren Hughes
The jeans all the cool girls are wearing have just dropped at NET-A-PORTER
This is the denim brand you need to know about
By Natalie Hughes