Trust us when we say it's easier to do a fishtail plait than you thought...
The fishtail plait is one hair trend that won’t go away. Why? Because it’s so easy to create, but looks amazing. An updo that can be glamorous or understated, the versatility of the fishtail plait makes it a popular choice for celebrities red carpet do’s and street style icons alike.
Fishtail plaits can be glamorous and pretty or funky and sexy. They might look complicated but in reality once you’ve got the basics mastered you’ll be able to create a great fishtail plait in no time at all.
‘The beauty of fishtail braid is that whilst they may look intricate and like you’ve spent hours fashioning them, they’re surprisingly easy to do,’ says celebrity stylist, co-founder of Chelsea salon Lockonego and all-round hair guru Ben Cooke.
If you’ve been wanting to try and create a fishtail plait at home just follow our simple step by step video tutorial to create a fishtail braid without the stress. Check out Beauty Assistant Charlotte Clark’s fishtail she created by following the step-by-step guide below.
1. Make sure you start with a sleek base. Even though the finished look of a fishtail plait is undone, knotty hair will make the plait harder to take out at the end of the day – plus a smooth base is so much easier to work with. If you have dry or frizzy hair, sparingly apply serum to even out the texture.
2. Brush hair right through from the lengths to the ends. We like applying a bit of dry shampoo along the roots for a bit of added volume too.
3. Using your hands create a neat pony at the back of the neck. TIP: If this is the first time you have tried a fishtail you may want to use a small hair elastic to secure your pony at this point. These Hershesons clear hair bands are really strong and virtually invisible too.
4. Now divide your hair into two even sections. Then starting on the right hand side take a small section from under your right pony and pull it up and over your right pony to join the left hand pony. Repeat this step on the opposite side, taking a small section from underneath the left pony and pulling it up and over to join your right pony.
5. Continue this process down the length of the hair, trying to keep the sections of your plait even. The smaller the sections the more detailed the plait. Secure the plait at the end with a band.
6. We really like a messier looking fishtail. Use your fingers to tease apart the plait for a sexy, dishevelled look. This is also a great way to make your hair look thicker and fuller.
If you enjoyed this check out our basic training tutorial video on how to do a great smokey eye.