Friends. Everybody needs good friends (or neighbours, if we were writing this in accordance to the Neighbours theme tune).
Your first best friend – aside from the Sylvanian Family member you had when you were four – was probably a primary school comrade, or perhaps you found your BFF later in life, bonding with a kindred spirit at work over a mutual hate of lift chat and crap colleague ‘banter’ – but just what makes a friend for life?
You know, the friend that you’re going to grow old disgracefully with. The one that you have so many ‘hilarious’ personal jokes with that when you get together, everyone in the near vicinity hates you. The friend that knows (and has judged) everyone you have ever dated and vice versa.
And 'the one' that you will definitely be getting rubbish matching tattoos with aged 80. Hey, let your bestie know you love them and send them one of these quotes that sum up your relationship with your BFF perfectly...
This is how you know you've found your true best friend for life...
1. They are your social media security blanket. Whatever you post, they will like. Immediately.
2. You have your own, very complex, form of language. One which exists on a deeper level of creativity to 'normal' human ears. Your boyfriend may label it 'annoying'. You know he's just jealous of your vernacular.
3. You could go a month (or three) without seeing her, but it doesn't matter because you're past having to prove your friendship. Unless you stop liking each others innocuous Facebook posts and Instagram selfies. Then it's over.
4. When you realise half of your wardrobe now belongs to her, but who are you to judge when you're definitely maybe wearing a top that was on 'loan' from last year.
5. Falling into their bed after a night out feels remarkably homely. You're left side, she's right side. Always.
6. You will laugh at literally ANYTHING they say. Even if you can't hear what it is they've actually said. In fact, have they said anything at all?
7. You always owe each other money, but somehow it seems to sort itself out without ever having to actually settle up.
8. It doesn't matter whether you're engaged or single, you both have the most killer maid of honour/ best girl speech ready and waiting. The hen party is also planned. As is the honeymoon. Because you're going too, obviously.
9. You vehemently hate all the same people.
10. Your brains are hard-wired to be in sync at all times. 'OMG! I WAS JUST ABOUT TO TEXT YOU THE SAME THING!' etc etc.
11. You talk about your bodily functions way more than is probably necessary, but somehow it feels so right.
12. You're friends with her parents, grandparents, siblings and family friends on Facebook. Thinking about it, you probably have more of her family on Facebook than your own.
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
Holly Rains is the digital editor of Marie Claire UK. She has over 10 years journalism experience, working as an editor and writer, specialising in digital media, content strategy and dog breeds. Prior to Marie Claire, she has held senior staff positions at ELLE UK, Grazia and Company magazine.
Holly is a frequent speaker, panelist and interviewer on a range of subjects including media trends, careers and entertainment. From working with Reuters to provide global red carpet coverage for events like the BAFTAs, to discussing fashion and beauty trends on network TV, she was also the host of the Marie Claire series ‘Holly’s First Dates’, where she regularly interviewed a mix of inspiring woman and A-list celebrities (including Jack Black, Dakota Fanning and Renée Zellweger) - a series which garnered half a million views in its first two months. And was approved by The Rock.
Her love of office-based meetings means that the days of discovering the melting point of Cadbury's Flakes are long gone, but when she isn't dreaming of scheduling in meetings, she likes to think about social media, and how best to avoid it whilst still retaining the title of 'digital' editor. She also likes learning about emerging technology, Influencers and how to become a Financially Responsible Adult.
Contact Holly: email@example.com
Chia water is all over TikTok claiming to boost gut health and satiety - but after trying for a week, it's not for me
The results were.... interesting
By Sofia Piza
People are using face tape to minimise wrinkles, but does it work? After asking a plastic surgeon, I tried it for myself
Turns out, TikTok might've duped us on this one
By Tori Crowther
This weekly Olaplex mask is my answer to frazzled winter hair - the before and after pictures have to be seen to be believed
And it just takes 10 minutes
By Tori Crowther