Thanks to the Feminist Ryan Gosling blog, the movie star has unwittingly become a force for gender equality
Ryan Gosling is a hero; he breaks up street fights in New York, saves British women from stepping into the paths of a speeding NYC taxis and, thanks to a few pro-women statements, has become not only a heartthrob but a thoughtul feminist.
His female-friendly persona is down in part to him saying things like this: ‘You have to question a cinematic culture which preaches artistic expression, and yet would support a decision that is clearly a product of a patriarchy-dominant society, which tries to control how women are portrayed onscreen.’ But mostly down to a blog by University of Wisconsin women’s and gender studies graduate Danielle Henderson called Feminist Ryan Gosling.
The site features drool-worthy snaps of Gosling paired with feminist theory one-liners – all beginning with the now-famous phrase ‘Hey girl.’
So popular was the blog that it’s now been made into a book called ‘Feminist Ryan Gosling: Feminist Theory (as Imagined) from Your Favorite Sensitive Movie Dude.’
Here are our five top lines from the book:
1) Hey girl, gender is a social construct, but everyone likes to cuddle.
2) Hey girl, the patriarchal establishment may fail to give a voice to women’s issues, but I could spend hours talking with you.
3) Hey girl, let’s get out of here. He’s doing that annoying thing again where he suggests that all women are obsessed with shoes and diamonds.
4) Hey girl, women make up 51 per cent of the US population and only 17 per cent of the government, but you’re the commander in chief of my heart.
5) Hey girl, since you make $0.77 for every dollar I earn I’m happy to pay for the movie tickets tonight.
Feminist Ryan Gosling: Feminist Theory (as Imagined) from Your Favorite Sensitive Movie Dude is available to buy September 6.