Despite the glitz and glam, it's still possible for us normals to take an interest collecting contemporary art.
The international art scene is well known for being the playground for the mega-rich. Collectors will casually spend millions on a painting with a simple wave of a hand at auction or pick up artworks like sweets at an art fair. Celebrity A-listers have taken note - Kate Moss, the Beckhams, Leonardo DiCaprio, Beyoncé and Jay Z are all avid collectors. Even Harry Styles popped down to Art13 London to pick up some trinkets for his East End pad. However, despite the glitz and glam, it is still possible for us normals to take an interest collecting contemporary art.
Here are the top 10 tips on collecting art from the experts at Art14 London, whether you want to spend £500 or £500,000. After all, everyone has to start somewhere...
1. Golden Rule: only buy what you like. You have to live with it.
2. Don’t think you can’t start small. There is great work out there, either buy prints by more established artists or works by young artists for as little as a few hundred pounds.
3. See everything is the flesh. People hype the internet – works need to be seen and experienced.
4. See as much art as you can and decide what you like. Art fairs are the best place to see a lot of art in one space.
5. Think of a hook or an angle for your collection. This can be a medium or a theme e.g. works by female artists or photography.
6. Don’t only follow what other people say. Learn to trust your own taste.
7. Don’t let the art world intimidate you. It is mostly smoke and mirrors…
8. Make sure it fits. It might sound silly but there are always sales that are revoked because a work didn’t fit in the house.
9. Don’t let yourself be rushed. Always take your time – you are the client no matter what people might want you to be believe.
10. Mingle with like-minded people and get a feel for the scene. Go to art fairs, gallery openings and talks. They are open to everyone.
Start your collection now at Art14 London, sponsored by Citi Private Bank. Book your ticket online at artfairslondon.com and receive a 2 for 1 offer on both Standard and Double tickets. Quote 'MARIECLAIRE’ when prompted to redeem this offer. Be sure to book before this offer expires at midnight on Sunday 23 February.
Art14 London 28 February - 2 March 2014 Olympia Grand, London, W14
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!