Whip up a favoursome fish starter this summer
Makes 6 frittatas
375g Jersey Royal potatoes, thinly sliced
A large knob of butter
3 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp saffron
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
375g cooked white crab meat
8 eggs, beaten
4 tbsp double cream
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 pinches of smoked sweet paprika
Few drops of lemon juice
1. Parboil the potatoes in a saucepan of salted water and drain.
2. Melt the butter in a large pan that will fit the potatoes in a single layer, and add one tablespoon of olive oil. Fry the onion, bay leaf, saffron and garlic, and add the potatoes to the pan. Fry until they are crusty and golden brown on both sides.
3. Discard the bay leaf and put everything else into a large bowl. Scatter in the parsley and crab meat, and add the eggs and cream. Season well and combine gently, without breaking up the potatoes.
4. Now fry the frittatas. Heat the remaining oil in a frying or rösti pan. Add one-sixth of the mixture, gently flicking back the edges with a knife so the runny egg seeps over and cooks. When almost set, put under a preheated grill till cooked through.
5. Flip the frittata onto a serving plate and repeat to make six frittatas. Sprinkle each with paprika and lemon juice before serving.