How many pairs of Chanel espadrilles? Ahead of the new series of Tamara's World, she threw open her wardrobe to give us a sneak peek. Warning: it's insane. Marie Kondo, look away now...
Tamara Ecclestone’s clothes collection is almost as famous as she is. Here at MC Towers, we confess to a secret soft spot for the heiress – yes, she’s got billions in the bank and the kind of lifestyle that makes the daily Tube commute/Tesco sandwich struggles of Planet Norm seem more than a bit dreary in comparison. But since having daughter Sophia (or Fifi, as she’s known), we’ve been impressed with her total motherly devotion, refusal to take Sophia off her lap/knee/hip (ever) and her feisty and well-expressed views on extended breastfeeding and attachment parenting. Ecclestone’s wardrobe is worth £5 million (and that’s a conservative estimate). But much as we try, it’s kind of hard to hold it against her when she gives quite a lot back in the form of fundraising and charity work – the proceeds of her annual wardrobe clear-out (boy, would we like to be in charge of those bin bags) all go to Great Ormond Street Childrens’ Hospital.
Ahead of the second series of Ecclestone’s ITVBe reality TV series Tamara’s World which airs this week, Marie Claire got an exclusive sneak preview into the insane wardrobe of dreams – and it doesn’t disappoint. Well, it disappoints us in the sense that we don’t own it, but you know what we mean.
‘It’s not small! It’s two separate rooms. One for spring and summer, and the other one for autumn/winter’, she told us. ‘I’m meticulous about it being super organised. I have pretty bad OCD, so I need to know exactly where everything is.’ That would explain the stacks of colour-coded bikinis stored in zip-lock wallets…
A few highlights to whet your appetite for the craziness to come: over 40 pairs of Gianvito Rossi heels, 37 pairs of Chanel espadrilles for the school run, over 20 pairs of Gucci mules, and 80 pairs of Victoria’s Secret PJs. Let’s face it, it’s really more like a mini Harrods than a closet. Or a perfectly-folded, designer version of The Hoarder Next Door…
Since becoming a mother and launching her businesses Fifi & Friends and SHOW Beauty, she admits she has become a bit more practical (well, the Tamara version, anyway). ‘My party days are well and truly over – but I have my floor length gowns and heels there just in case!’ she says. ‘Leggings, sweaters, bombers and trainers are my staples nowadays.’
Tamara’s trusty stylist Lucy Packham took a series of snaps for us, and below, Tamara talks us through her PJ/Gucci loafer/bikini obsessions.
- 37 pairs of Chanel espadrilles. ‘I’m obsessed with espadrilles when I’m away in sunnier climes. My husband Jay actually buys me a pair for every birthday or Valentine’s Day. They’re the one shoe we can agree on! ‘
2. 81 pairs of Victoria’s Secret pajamas. ‘PJs are literally my favourite thing ever. I need shares in Victoria’s Secret! I change into them as soon as I get in the door every day – I cannot be all dressed up at home in any way, shape or form…’
3. 57 Melissa Odabash bikinis. ‘I love sunny holidays all year round – I love being by the water and as a family Jay, Fifi and I just love to be at the beach. Melissa Odabash is my go-to for a good bikini. She designs for real women, I can mix and match and have different size tops and bottoms to fit my boobs!’
4. 72 pairs of designer sunglasses. “I live in shades on a day-to-day basis – I never really wear make-up, so a classic pair of big sunnies covers a multitude of sins…”
5. 22 pairs of Gucci mules. “I’m too old to have sore feet all day long. Now I’m a busy mum, I love to wear fun and comfortable flats at all times.”
6. 95 clutch bags. Even though she’s no longer the party animal she was, at least she’s got those emergency black-tie accessories covered. Phew! In the shape of… 47 from Chanel, 15 by Edie Parker, and 33 from Jimmy Choo.
7. 75 floral dresses. “When I go on holiday, I live and breathe in maxi dresses and flat sandals. I like light, easy materials and brands like Zimmerman and Free People.’
That’s it from the Ecclestone £million wardrobe land for now, folks. Love her or loathe her, she’s never knowingly underdressed…
Tamara’s World starts this Wednesay on ITVBe at 9pm