Hair Tutorial: Topshop LFW AW16 Hair Look
Trust Topshop to understand that we Brits LOVE big hair. Add a bit of messiness into the equation, and we’re all ears (and willing heads of hair)…
“We’re always leaning towards this britishness here, and this look is definitely a Brit girl. This season, she’s gone clubbing – she’s a club kid. It’s a bit more extreme and fun. We wanted to capture that sense of wildness. Just go for it and let loose.” – Anthony Turner for L’Oréal Professionnel.
Anthony – we hear you loud and clear and have duly backcombed and clamped our roots to achieve the look with the help of some tips from Jonny Engstrom at Guy Kremer Salon for L’Oréal Professionnel. While we wouldn’t recommend turning up to the office with this do, it’s perfect for a night out and looks brilliant paired with a smoky eye and some bold make-up.
Get The Look in Five Steps:
1) Prep hair with a heat-protective spray like L’Oreal Professionnel Techni ART Pli, Thermo-Modelling Spray. Make sure you get the product all over the hair, lifting pieces and coating the lengths properly.
2) Backcomb. Really go to town on this – you want a LOT of volume at the roots.
3) Grab a straightening iron and clamp the backcombed roots in it. Move the iron down and clamp again. Do this around three times to set the backcomb in the roots. Tip: use a brush with natural bristles if your hair is weak and you’re worried about damage.
4) Use your fingers to arrange your hair in the style. To stay faithful to the Topshop look, pull a section of the front forward and slightly smooth down the sides.
4) Set your style with a hairspray. We used L’Oreal Professionnel Wild Stylers 60s Babe and were fairly heavy-handed – a bit of crunch only makes this look all the more lived-in.