It’s not all about the dresses, there were slushy speeches too… And someone broke a record
Sometimes awards ceremonies pass without much happening — a lot of famous people shuffle down the red carpet being photographed looking their fanciest (which is debuted on their Instagrams from the back of a car), then they sit at tables for a few hours while a bunch of them receive awards.
Last night’s People’s Choice Awards in LA brought far more larks. From speeches to shout-outs, here are the 7 things we’re talking about today…
1. First thing’s first — Ellen DeGeneres broke the record for the most People’s Choice Awards ever won by anyone ever. The talk show host (predominantly, though she does loads of other stuff) cleaned up winning three awards — Favourite Animated Film Voice for Finding Dory, Favourite Daytime Talk Show Host for her show and Favourite Comedic Collaboration for Mall Mischief. She nodded to the record in her speech, saying: ‘Seventeen, I get it; 18, sure; 19, I can see that. But 20 is outrageous.’
2. Blake Lively won the award for Best Dramatic Actress for her role as a hot surfer in The Shallows who may or may not get eaten by sharks. After shimmying up on stage, in a glitzy Elie Saab dress, she delivered a fun speech, saying: 'Thank you to my husband. He is everything to me. You can't have him he's mine!'.
3. Slightly controversially Johnny Depp won the Favourite Movie Icon Award. It follows a turbulent year in which he publicly split from his wife Amber Heard amidst allegations of domestic abuse. He thanked fans for their support, saying he attended the ceremony ‘for you, the people, who through whatever good times or bad have stood by me and trusted me […] And you’ve graciously invited me here once again tonight, so I appreciate that so much. You have no idea how much I appreciate that.’
4. Best speech of the night goes to ‘Favourite Humanitarian’ Tyler Perry, who used his time on the stage after winning to say something everyone needs to hear: ‘As I look at the state of the world and the state of our country and everything that is going on, it is so important that we know that no matter how dark it gets, we all know that we have to be light for each other.’
5. Not only was it’s Fifth Harmony’s debut acting as a quartet, following the departure of band member Camila Cabello, but they won ‘Favourite Group’, took a selfie with Blake Lively AND did it all in pseudo-wedding dresses. #PCAGoals. (Our favourite look has got to be Dinah's from new brand Kalayci London.)
6. Fans of Kevin Hart and The Rock’s budding bromance were satiated as the comedian gave a shout-out to his Central Intelligence co-star in his ‘Favourite Comedic Movie Actor’ speech. He bucked the trend of weepy thank yous, saying: ‘Last but not least, all the co-stars that I’ve had in my life that have helped me grow in this business— I appreciate you all […] I’m definitely able to do what I do because of the help that I have on camera, so this one goes out to all of the co-stars that I’ve had except The Rock, because he hasn’t helped me […] He hasn’t helped me at all. He’s actually lessened my talent— it’s gone down since you’ve been in my life.'
7. And now a shout-out to our favourite look of the night. It’s got to be Ruby Rose in that fierce red Veronica Beard suit with almost-black lipstick. Runners up were Priyanka Chopra for looking like the least January-fied person we’ve ever seen in coral Sally LaPointe, and Jennifer Lopez for that immaculate pulled-back pony.
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
One A-lister just shared a sweet anecdote about Princess Diana breaking protocol for his mother
By Jenny Proudfoot
Prince William and Kate Middleton's unusual sleeping arrangements are going viral
By Jenny Proudfoot
Kate Middleton's title was originally intended for another royal family member
By Jenny Proudfoot