Givenchy's 'chola' girls had faces covered in jewels, Alexander Wang loaded his models' ears up at Balenciaga while FKA Twigs has made piercings cool. Here's our guide to the coolest AW15 accessory trend
With studs and giant chandeliers dangling from every available inch of ear, hoops pierced through their septums and their cheeks covered in jewels, Riccardo Tisci’s ‘chola’ girls at his AW15 Givenchy show took the concept of face jewellery to a hole (sorry) new level.
(AW15 Catwalks: Loewe, Givenchy, Balenciaga)
Ear cuffs have been one of jewellery’s biggest recent trends and celebrities including FKA twigs and Rihanna have brought multiple piercings and nose rings into the mainstream. When Scarlett Johansson abandons old-Hollywood glamour for a shaved undercut to show off the series of tiny hoops snaking round her ear, you know it’s a trend.
But don’t think you can pull off a full face/ear of jewels? Never fear. We spoke to Luisa de Paula of accessories website Boticca.com, whose selection of ultra-cool independent accessories designers from all over the world we are slightly obsessed with. Boticca’s recent press day featured a ‘piercing bar’ that saw editors getting pierced left right and centre, so we thought Luisa was just the lady to give us a spot of style advice.
“Ear decoration started a while ago with celebrities like Keira Knightly doing piercings around the perimeter of the ear, but now it’s all about exploring other areas of the face too,” she says. “Initially, it was very delicate, but recently the earrings and adornments have become more ‘statement’. During the Paris AW15 shows, Givenchy, Loewe and Balenciaga all celebrated piercing and a layered jewellery look in a maximalist way.”
Here are Luisa’s three key ways to wear the look:
1. “Delicate earrings worn together, with each one telling a whimsical story as a collection of ‘charms’
2. “A series of hoops, a la FKA twigs”
3. “Statement studs decorating all areas of the ear to create an elegant but strong image.”
If you’re scared:
1. “Start slowly with one or two piercings, small delicate studs or tiny hoops at different points of the ear. Think of it as a collection process where you can build up your own story. “
2. “Multiple piercings doesn’t have to mean rock chick, or punk. At our Boticca.com piercing event, guests created a feminine look with three single diamond studs delicately lining the ear lobes.”
Here are Luisa’s top picks of the coolest pieces to try:
Studs to stack up:
Ear cuffs to make a statement
For celebrities with fabulous piercings and all the catwalk inspirations behind the trend, check out our gallery at the top of the page