The High Court hearing of Nigella Lawson and Charles Saatchi's 10-year marriage was over in minutes
Nigella Lawson‘s marriage to Charles Saatchi was over quicker than you can say ‘sautéed potatoes’ with a High Court hearing that took just 70 seconds.
A preliminary divorce (divorce nisi) was granted by the judge in London yesterday morning, just seven weeks after Saatchi was pictured ‘choking’ and taunting his wife outside a resaurant in full view of London diners.
Neither Nigella, who has kept a low profile since the alledged attack, nor Saatchi attended the court hearing, which is due to be complete (divorce absolute) at the beginning of September.
An ‘amicable’ divorce was sought by Nigella against Charles, 70, on the grounds of his ‘unreasonable behaviour.’ While he called the incident a ‘playful tiff,’ he later went on to accept a caution for assault.
The couple who are said to be worth £34 million between them – Nigella a TV chef and Charles a collector of fine art – are said to have made no financial claims against each other and agreed that the terms of the settlement be kept private.
Saatchi has spoken out to say he was ‘deeply saddened’ by the divorce but Nigella (who’s been pictured in uncharacteristicly dark and loose fitting garments since) has made no comment.
TV chef Nigella, moved out of the couple’s Chelsea home late last month and has plans to go to Los Angeles to film the second series of ABC show The Taste.
Black Friday 2021
Newly single Nigella will be back on Channel 4 with the show in 2014 and we hope it welcomes the return of the Nigella we know and love.