Amal Alamuddin and George Clooney married in Venice over the weekend, but who exactly is the new leading lady in his life?
Amal Alamuddin married George Clooney in a lavish ceremony in Venice over the weekend, making her the first leading lady to tame the notorious Hollywood bachelor.
Sources say the low-key couple, who wed in front of a host of celebrity guests, are delighted. But who exactly is the heartthrob’s new love? Here’s what you need to know…
1. She’s not famous, or an aspiring actress. In fact she’s not in George’s ‘Hollywood’ circle at all. The British-Lebanese 36-year-old is an international lawyer, specialising in human rights and extradition.
2. She’s seriously clever. Before qualifying, Amal studied at both Oxford and the New York University School of Law.
3. She has worked with the UN, acted as an advisor to Special Envoy Kofi Annan and the King of Bahrain, and represented WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange while fighting his Sweden extradition.
4. She’s multi-lingual, and fluent in English, French and Arabic.
5. She has edited several books. Her latest, The Law and Practice of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon, was published earlier this year.
6. Not only does she work in law, she trains judges, state officials and UN investigators, and also lectures too.
7. She was voted London’s hottest female barrister.
8. She refused George Clooney’s offer of a date 3 times, before finally accepting. Seven months later, they were engaged, and five months after that, married.
Congratulations to the happy couple!