Once again the UK has been struck with code red weather. To help you beat the chill, Designmynight.com has supplied us with the UK’s best basement bars to take refuge in.
1. Purl London Set in the heart of Marylebone is Purl, a magnificent 1920s-style speakeasy with oodles of vintage glamour. The prohibition era can be tasted in every cocktail mixed, stirred and shaken in this little gem, and will leave you counting down the days until your next visit. Purl is a unique experience with a fresh approach to drinking in London.
2. The Luggage Room, London The Luggage Room in Mayfair is one of the chicest basement bars in London and once was an actual luggage room. With luxury at the forefront of its success, it's no wonder booking is essential if you want to enter this secretive hideaway. A large block of ice is kept behind the bar and is carved for every drink served. Jazz music is played, alongside a selection of 1920s classics helping to create a chilled, calming atmosphere.
3. London Cocktail Club, Shoreditch, London London Cocktail Club is only a short strut away from Bethnal Green Rd and brands itself with the quirky atmosphere Shoreditch is renowned for. The walls are splashed with crazy, colourful sketches, chequered seats line the walls and leather booths litter the floor and add to the venue's American biker theme. Although some of the concotions may seem strange (Bacon and Egg Martini, anyone?), it’s evident from one slurp that these guys know what they’re doing.
4. The Vaults, Birmingham Arguably one the most welcoming bars in Birmingham, The Vaults takes on a friendly atmosphere and attracts professional clientele as well as a party crowd on weekends. Eye-catching furniture and VIP booths hidden behind blue velvet drapes make the place near impossible to leave. They also boast cocktail masterclasses that are ideal for anything from hen parties to office team nights out.
5. Moskito, Glasgow Right in the beating heart of Glasgow’s City Centre is the infamous basement bar Moskito. Defying to be anything like your stereotypical dingy basement bar, this venue breathes life into its atmosphere with its stylish design and extensive cocktail menu. You can rent out one of their booths while you sip through some of their thirst quenching tipples. Popular amongst the city party crowd, you can put your money on having a fabulous time at this feel good haunt.
6. CTC Development Bar and Table, London Set up by three talented mixologists, CTC Development Bar and Table is an independent basement cocktail bar in the West End. These three lads have devoted all their time fusing the correct ingredients for some out-of-this-world drinks. They have come up with candyfloss and maple bacon noodles alongside smoked marshmallow syrup as ingredients. The venue itself is intimate and has dark mahogany furniture, marble tables and hints of emerald green décor; a real drinking adventure for people who love something a little bit different.
7. The Liquor Store, Manchester The Liquor Store is open until 3am daily so, if you’re ever stuck for a late night refreshment, Deansgate is the spot to hit. Paying homage to its city, a whole wall is dedicated to the achievements of the present and past giving the venue quirky edge. An Indie rock ‘n’ roll soundtrack is played in the evening to mark the start of naughty antics and lip-smacking lunches and fantastic coffee are served during the day.
8. Ruby’s, London If you’re ever on Stoke Newington Road, have a look for the unmissable cinema sign hanging above Ruby’s and peek your head in for a gawk at their pleasantly surprising drinking den. Once a former Chinese take-away, the venue now has a mish-mash of vintage tables, chairs and lampshades. Perfect for a cosy date or meeting place for a night on the tiles, Ruby’s is a secret relaxing space with dazzling cocktails and intimate surroundings.
9. Oskar’s Bar at Dabbous, London Oskar’s Bar at Dabbous, run by award-winning mixologist Oskar Kinberg, is one of the premiere basement bars in the UK and is situated in bustling Soho. This beautiful basement bar screams NYC-cool and flaunts exposed brickwork and warehouse style furniture. Bar snacks like olives and chicken wings are available and complement the drinks menu making this venue a great spot for a catch up.
10. Corbieres Wine Cavern, Manchester Want to impress your friends or maybe a special someone? Look no further than Corbieres Wine Cavern, ladies and gents. Decorated with oak barrels and dim lighting, this place is home to couples on dates, shoppers looking to escape the hectic streets above and friends catching up. What seems to be a big win for this venue is the jukebox – it has tunes from local bands, rock ‘n’ roll and indie classics.
For more great bars, clubs and events visit Designmynight.com.
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
The leading destination for fashion, beauty, shopping and finger-on-the-pulse views on the latest issues. Marie Claire's travel content helps you delight in discovering new destinations around the globe, offering a unique – and sometimes unchartered – travel experience. From new hotel openings to the destinations tipped to take over our travel calendars, this iconic name has it covered.
PSA: I've found classic UGG mini boots for 30% off in the Cyber Monday sales
Including classic boots, slippers, and loungewear
By Penny Goldstone
Kate took elocution lessons to sound 'more posh' than William, according to a royal expert
Apparently the Princess had several sessions
By Lauren Hughes
This is not a drill, you can get an extra 20% off the Whistles sales, but it ends tonight
Ready, get set, go!
By Jenny Proudfoot