We've chatted to celebrity trainer Hayley Newton, who has worked with everyone from Pixie Lott to Katherine Jenkins, to find out how you can get in the best shape ever for 2014.
1. 'Try and workout first thing in the morning, as your metabolism runs faster at this time and you are likely to burn more calories. It will also give you a great start to the day, and you can then relax afterwards.'
2. 'Consistency is important. You will have better results if you train everyday (even if it's for just 30 minutes), than if you do long sessions every now and then.'
3. 'Try interval training, which involves alternating bursts of intense activity with intervals of lighter activity. You'll burn more calories the more vigorously you exercise, even if you increase intensity for just a few minutes at a time. Try jogging for 1 minute 30 seconds, then sprinting for 30 seconds, and just keep repeating this pattern. Always remember to warm up before and down after!'
4. 'Setting realistic goals can help you both mentally and physically. It will also help you improve your fitness level gradually and safely, which helps to build confidence, and keeps you interested and motivated to progress further.'
5. 'Make working out your hobby. If you love to dance, for example, you can burn calories through salsa or Zumba. And what about rock climbing or learning circus skills? Active sports are a great and fun way to sustain working out because they become something you are motivated and excited to do.'
Hayley's workouts help Pixie maintain her amazing figure
6. 'Have a treat day. We all need a treat. Even the top athletes in the world need to have a day where they just relax a little and have a chocolate bar. There's nothing better than striving for a reward. Being strict with your diet for 6 days a week and letting loose on the 7th is totally acceptable.'
7. 'Hire a personal trainer or workout with a friend. Getting a PT may be too expensive for some, but it's definitely worth the money if you can part with it. It's an hour of time when all they care about is your fitness programme and shape. They will push you to your max and help you get the results you crave. If that's not something you can afford, asking a friend to meet up with you will also help motivate and push you to complete your workouts.'
8. 'Change up your regular workouts. Don't let your body and muscles get used to the exercises. You will see better results if you constantly chop and change your routine, so you walk away from every workout as sore and battered as you were the first time you tried it. Nothing should ever become easy or your results will slow down.'
9. 'Nutrition is half the battle. Learn to eat healthy and make dieting a thing of your past. Eating small meals throughout the day will complement your fitness routine.'
10. 'Finally, try to rest and sleep for at least 8 hours. You've worked hard, and your body needs to rest and recover.'
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
Taylor Swift reveals when she actually started dating Travis Kelce - and why she's refusing to hide their relationship
She's opening up about it *all*
By Jadie Troy-Pryde
Forget the South of France in summer, winter’s the time to go
By Penny Goldstone
The biggest dating trends for 2024 might just get you back on the apps
Feeling jaded by modern dating? Take a look at this
By Lauren Hughes