Feeling brave and really want to impress? Paul Morgan, head chef at the Horse & Groom Inn in Wiltshire, reveals how to make his ultimate starter
Feeling brave and really want to impress? Paul Morgan, acting head chef at the Horse & Groom Inn in Wiltshire, reveals how to make his ultimate starter.
Ingredients: 2 diver-caught scallops 20g handpicked Portland white crab meat 1tsp Avruga caviar 120g fresh linguini 2tbsp olive oil Fresh chopped herbs For the crab bisque: 200g crab shells 1 small red onion 3 cloves garlic 1 small bulb of fennel 3 lemongrass sticks Small amount of root ginger 20 lime leaves 1 large tbsp tomato puree ½ pint of white wine 2 pints of water 1 pint of cream
Method: For the crab bisque: 1. Sweat off your onions, garlic ginger, fennel and half the lemongrass until slightly golden brown.
2. Add your crab shells and cook for a few minutes.
3. Add your tomato puree and cook for a few more minutes.
4. Add your white wine & water and reduce until ½ pint of liquid is left.
5. Pass the remaining liquid through a fine sieve in to a clean pan.
6. Add the cream, lime leaves and remaining lemon grass.
7. Bring to the boil slowly, season with salt & pepper and leave to cool before passing through a fine sieve again. Once the crab bisque is made: 8. Bring a pan of water to the boil and start to cook your linguini.
9. Season then sear of your scallops on both sides to a golden colour and place under the grill for a couple of minutes until just cooked.
10. Place your crab bisque into a pan and bring to the boil gently, add your fresh crab meat and linguini & fold in the chopped herbs.
11. Mix the Avruga caviar with the olive oil and serve.
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
The leading destination for fashion, beauty, shopping and finger-on-the-pulse views on the latest issues. Marie Claire's travel content helps you delight in discovering new destinations around the globe, offering a unique – and sometimes unchartered – travel experience. From new hotel openings to the destinations tipped to take over our travel calendars, this iconic name has it covered.
America Ferrera's powerful speech in Barbie has resurfaced amid her words on body positivity
By Jenny Proudfoot
Prince William and Princess Kate have released their official Christmas card photograph
By Jenny Proudfoot
As a beauty editor I'm sceptical of hyped-up products, but Rare Beauty's Soft Pinch Liquid Blush is *that* good
Trust me, I've tried a lot of them
By Lucy Abbersteen