A delicious and colourful informal starter
• 4 large red peppers
• 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
• a few fresh basil leaves
• salt and freshly ground pepper
• a few tomatoes, halved
• 2 fresh buffalo mozzarella
• a few capers (optional)
• bread and mixed salad leaves or baby spinach, to serve For the salad dressing
• 2 anchovy fillets
• 1 small garlic clove, crushed
• a pinch of crushed chillies or hot cayenne pepper
• a good squeeze of lemon juice
• 150ml olive oil
• freshly ground black pepper
1) Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/ 180°C/350°F.
2) Place the peppers on a baking sheet and roast for about 45 minutes, until soft and slightly charred.
3) Put in a bowl, cover with cling film and, when cool, peel off the skins, reserving any juices.
4) Remove and discard the seeds and core, then tear the peppers into strips, place them in a large bowl and pour over any reserved juices.
5) Mix in the sliced garlic, basil and seasoning, then leave at room temperature for at least an hour or overnight, if possible, to marinate.
6) To make the dressing, mash the anchovy fillets with the garlic and chillies or cayenne, then whisk in the lemon juice, olive oil and black pepper, to taste.
7) To serve, put the peppers and tomatoes on a large platter or four dinner plates. Tear the mozzarella into rough pieces, then sprinkle the salad with capers, if using, and the dressing. Add a few leaves, if you like, and serve with crusty bread.