Give your ribs an interesting tang
• 100g (4oz) brown sugar
• 4 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
• 4 tsp garlic salt
• 1 tbs mild chilli powder
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 900g (2lb) pork spare ribs
• 150ml (1/4 pint) apple juice
• 4 tbs tomato purée
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC, 400°F, Gas Mark 6.
2. Place the ribs in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
3. Drain and place on a baking tray and leave to cool slightly.
4. Mix together the sugar, cocoa powder, garlic salt, mild chilli powder and cinnamon in a small bowl. Reserve 3 tbs of this spice mixture for the sauce.
5. Rub the remaining spice mixture over the ribs, until well coated. Place the ribs in a single layer on a foil-lined roasting pan. Cover with foil and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile make the sauce, gently heat the apple juice, tomato purée and reserved spice mixture until well combined and glossy. Use half the sauce to baste the ribs and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes, until the ribs are sticky and glossy.
7. Place the other half of the sauce in a serving bowl.
Delicious served with a chunky avocado salsa, lime wedges and the remaining sauce.
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
The leading destination for fashion, beauty, shopping and finger-on-the-pulse views on the latest issues. Marie Claire's travel content helps you delight in discovering new destinations around the globe, offering a unique – and sometimes unchartered – travel experience. From new hotel openings to the destinations tipped to take over our travel calendars, this iconic name has it covered.
The 5 biggest claims from Endgame, the explosive new royal book from Omid Scobie
It has been making a lot of headlines this week
By Lauren Hughes
Sabrina Carpenter had a hilarious justification for controversial church music video
By Iris Goldsztajn
To officially kick off the festive season, our two expert editors name these 7 beauty gifts the best of the best
Welcome to a Christmas special Beauty Desk Drop
By Shannon Lawlor