A tasty warming winter dish that's perfect for festive dinner parties
• 700g diced venison
• 2 tbsp seasoned plain flour
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 12 shallots, peeled
• 200g shitake mushrooms, halved if large
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 2 tsp ground coriander
• 600ml beef stock
• 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
• 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1) Preheat the oven to 150C/Gas 2.
2) Put the venison in a bag with the seasoned flour and seal the top.
3) Shake well to coat the meat in the flour.
4) Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole and add the contents of the bag.
5) Fry over a high heat until the meat is browned all over.
6) Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
7) Add the shallots, mushrooms and garlic and fry for a few minutes, until browned.
8) Return the meat to the pan and add the spices.
9) Cook for a minute or two, then pour in the stock.
10) Stir well, then cover the casserole and transfer to the oven. Cook for 1 hour.
11) Stir in the redcurrant jelly and return to the oven without the lid for 1/2 hour.
12) Remove from the oven, stir in the coriander and serve with garlicky mashed potatoes. 13) Serve with Gran Reserva Rioja.