Not your usual trifle!
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
210g caster sugar
2 vanilla pods
1 organic lemon
250ml whole milk
3 egg yolks
200g dark chocolate
300ml double cream
5 tbsp green mint syrup (such as Monin)
6 amaretti biscuits
6 tbsp Menthe Pastille (clear mint) liqueur
1. Add 150g sugar, 1 vanilla pod split lengthways in two and three strips of lemon peel to 250ml water. Bring to the boil in a medium pan to make a syrup.
2. Peel and dice the pears. Poach in the syrup for 10 minutes. Remove the pears and boil the syrup over a high heat to make the flavour more intense. Remove the pan from the heat, return the pears to the syrup and allow to cool.
3. Place the milk and the second split vanilla pod in a pan and bring to the boil. Beat the egg yolks and the rest of the sugar in a separate pan and gradually add the milk. Place over a low heat and stir until it thickens to make a custard. Break up the chocolate, add to the pan and mix in well. Allow to cool.
4. Put the double cream in the freezer for 20 minutes. Remove and whip until it forms firm peaks. Blend in the mint syrup.
5. Break up the amaretti biscuits. Divide between six glasses and pour 1 tbsp of mint liqueur over each one. Then alternate the mint cream and pear and chocolate mixtures. Chill until serving.