Tasty pies to warm you up on a cold winter day
• 200g shortcrust pastry
• 800g Buccleuch stewing beef, cut into 3cm cubes (or alternative stewing beef)
• 1 egg yolk, whisked
• 1tbsp cornflour
• soured cream, to serve
• salt and pepper
• 4tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
• 2tsp sweet paprika
• 100ml chicken stock
• 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
• 2tbsp chopped fresh thyme
1) Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas mark 6.
2) Place the beef and cornflour in a large mixing bowl and mix well to coat the veal pieces. 3) Season with salt and pepper.
4) Heat half of the oil in a heavy sauté pan and sauté the coated beef, a few cubes at a time, so they can be browned evenly without crowding.
5) When all the meat has been browned, remove to one side.
6) Add the remaining oil to the pan with the onion and garlic, stirring all the time. Remove from the heat and add the paprika, stirring well again, and returning again to the stove to continue cooking.
7) Add the beef, stock and tomatoes and simmer uncovered for about 50 minutes until the cooking juices have reduced by half.
8) Add the thyme and let it cool completely.
9) Roll the pastry to 4mm thick and cut out six circles that are large enough to cover the tops of the individual pie dishes.
10) Spoon the goulash into all six pie dishes and place the pastry rounds over each of the dishes, pressing the sides on to the edge of the pie dish to seal well.
11) Make a cross cut on the top of each pie and brush with egg yolk.
12) Bake the pies in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes, until golden in colour. Serve with soured cream.
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
The leading destination for fashion, beauty, shopping and finger-on-the-pulse views on the latest issues. Marie Claire's travel content helps you delight in discovering new destinations around the globe, offering a unique – and sometimes unchartered – travel experience. From new hotel openings to the destinations tipped to take over our travel calendars, this iconic name has it covered.
Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis have to miss an A-list event for a very relatable reason
By Jenny Proudfoot
Kate Middleton's Monica Vinader necklace is currently 30% off in the Cyber Monday sale
Snap it up before they sell out
By Penny Goldstone
Princess Kate's "image change" is reportedly down to her upcoming portrayal in The Crown
By Jenny Proudfoot