Last night’s Academy Awards were one of the most entertaining and memorable Oscars ceremonies ever, and the dresses stole the show.
It wasn’t just Ellen Degeneres’ selfie, featuring Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence among others, that became the most retweeted image ever, the fact that we still don’t really know what Matthew McConaughy was going on about in his acceptance speech, or that J Law tripped over AGAIN that had us all a flurry, it was the fashion. And what a night for fashion it was.
This is the night when the most famous people on the planet step out in the most beautiful frocks in the world, so naturally we’ve been chomping at the bit for the reveals. While some missed the mark, we thought we’d select our top seven and tell you just exactly why and how these A-listers have nailed their red carpet looks.
1. Ok, let’s cut to the chase. Best dress goes to… you guessed it, Lupita Nyong’o. This girl can’t step a fashion foot wrong, especially when that fashion foot is draped in custom Prada. Drool. Not only did Lupita look like something from a fairytale, it was also obvious she felt like a Princess too – the actress couldn’t stop swishing her gown as she sashayed down the carpet. The cherry on the cake was Lupita’s diamond headband. N.B. must buy headband ASAP.
2. Jennifer Lawrence. Never one to make an elegant entrance, Jennifer tripped her way down the red carpet. Luckily on-off beau Nicholas Hoult (we hope they stay together for ever and ever and ever) was there to help the starlet back up. ‘Sleek’ was the word that sprung to mind when we saw Jen with her slicked back hair and wearing a simple, strapless, column gown with pleats at the waist. Not to mention the backwards necklace she’s working – quirkiness at the Oscars is to be noted, and we love a woman that dons red for the red carpet. We applaud J-Law for her pared-down glamour. You go J-Law.
3. At number three we have utter goddess Charlize Theron, who, if possible, has risen in our estimations since hooking up with Sean Penn (this is what a super-couple looks like, people). In a sea of colour and glitz, Charlize went for an old-school hourglass silhouette in a black Dior gown. But look a little closer and this dress isn’t as simple as it seems. The invisible straps make a cheeky trompe l’oeil, drawing your eye to the va-va-voom neckline, and the sheer fishtail of the dress makes this LBD Oscar-worthy.
4. Enter Margot Robbie, for several reasons. The woman used to be in Neighbours for crying out loud and now she’s rubbing shoulders with Leo et al. We bow down. The rising star’s frock is a winner because of its sensational back – we love a big bow, and we love one in black. But the dress was a little out-shone by Margot’s hair reveal (oh, how we love a hair reveal). The blonde bombshell had dyed her honey locks a deep chocolate brown and was rocking gothic beauty with very dark lipstick. This was the actress’ first Oscars and we love that she went for something so brave. Totally fierce!
5. Cate Blanchett’s look was pure Hollywood – basically, she nailed it. Dressed in Armani (what else?) the Oscar winner stunned in a nude, heavily embellished number. We were also crushing on her diamond pendant earrings and softly waved hair. Bravo.
6. We think Emma Watson is becoming something of a style maven since her dress-over-trousers combo at the Golden Globes. This dress is a pretty rock ‘n’ roll choice for the Oscars and we’re digging it. The glitzy gun-metal shade and flared skirt make it red carpet-worthy, and we’re also deeming the swept back ‘do very chic. We’ve got our fashion eyes on you, Watson.
7. Ok, look, we’re going to break the rules a little by introducing an honourary male member to our list. That’s right, we’re giving out a Best Supporting Hair gong here because, frankly, Jared Leto’s ‘do cannot go unrecognised. This man’s hair is a wonder. Have you ever seen shinier, more perfectly-tonged ombre tresses? No, we didn’t think so. We’ll be taking J-Let’s picture to the salon with us next time. Oh, and congrats to him on the Best Supporting Actor gong too.
See ALL the Oscars 2014 red carpet photos…