Want to know who you should be watching on the fashion scene right now? We got the inside scoop from the legendary Giles Deacon who told us why these five blisteringly hot new designers have got caught his eye.
Not only that, but we've got our fashion editors to give us their opinion, too - and, frankly, what they don't know about catwalks 'ain't worth knowing.
1. Ashley Williams Giles says: 'I love Ashley's simple shapes mixed with genius prints made from vintage photographs of Elvis and other musical icons. Her designs are clever, fun and chic.' Lucia Debieux, Marie Claire's Junior Fashion Editor, says: 'Definitely one to watch; if you wanna be in with the cool kids get involved. I can't get enough of her fun stand-out prints and the graphic slogans for SS14.'
2. Chrisopher Shannon Giles says: 'I have had my eye on one of Chris' abstract cartoon face jumpers. It’s pop sport at its best for men.' Victoria Moss, Marie Claire's Fashion Features Editor, says: 'Christopher Shannon is the name to watch in menswear right now, so it's no wonder he's up for a British Fashion Award this year. His cool, witty knitwear and modern take on tailoring make us wish one thing: PLEASE do a women's collection.'
3. Claire Barrow Giles says: 'I love one-off hand-worked embroidered items and Claire's work is wonderfully individual and special.' Tanya Semikoz, Executive Fashion Editor, says: 'Claire has a very distinctive style that sets her apart form the rest. I love her signature raw-edged jackets on hardy, graffiti-ed cotton and leather. This season was inspired by all things mystical and astrological; for the girl for whom no rules apply.'
4. KTZ Giles says: 'Founded by the legendary Marjan Pejoski. KTZ make genius worked sportswear that is being picked up by the likes of Rhianna.' Holly Welch, Marie Claire's Junior Fashion Editor, says: 'Who remembers the Bjork swan? It was these guys! Not that you could tell from this upbeat high energy collection featuring geometric patterns, sporty cuts and mega watt jewellery. You can see why the likes of Kanye West have given them a thumbs up.'
5. Holly Fulton Giles says: 'Holly is definitely one to watch with her own idiosyncratic play on contemporary womenswear.' Victoria Moss says: 'The name Holly Fulton has become synonymous with daring, bold graphic prints which you just know if you wear you'll have a brilliant time in. Plus her knack for statement jewellery pieces (a trade she learnt working at Lanvin) make sure she always has a serious wow factor on her runway.'
Giles Deacon is currently working with the DFS Design Foundation - a new scheme open to all final year undergraduate design students. The scheme offers one lucky winner a tailored package of support worth in excess of £20,000 and includes: a cash bursary as well as a paid three-month internship, with Giles at his London studio and with DFS’ expert in-house design team.
Giles also designed a sofa for DFS, about which he said: 'I wanted the sofa to have clean modern lines and to be instantly recognisable as a statement Giles piece. I worked with the DFS design team and we scanned a load of the illustrations I had done on my iPad and played around with the scale and proportion to create the finished product. I decided I wanted a kind of monochrome pattern underneath and a photographic montage of mountains really worked.'
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
The leading destination for fashion, beauty, shopping and finger-on-the-pulse views on the latest issues. Marie Claire's travel content helps you delight in discovering new destinations around the globe, offering a unique – and sometimes unchartered – travel experience. From new hotel openings to the destinations tipped to take over our travel calendars, this iconic name has it covered.
Forget the South of France in summer, winter’s the time to go
By Penny Goldstone
The biggest dating trends for 2024 might just get you back on the apps
Feeling jaded by modern dating? Take a look at this
By Lauren Hughes
The jeans all the cool girls are wearing have just dropped at NET-A-PORTER
This is the denim brand you need to know about
By Natalie Hughes