Traditional home cooking at its best
• 500g Mutton or lamb, diced
• 125g smoked bacon, diced
• 2 carrots, cut into chunks
• 1 parsnip, cut into chunks
• 1 small swede, cut into chunks
• 2 onions, coarsely chopped
• 450ml vegetable stock
• 12 black peppercorns
• 3 cloves
• 1 bay leaf
• sprig of thyme
• salt and black pepper
• 350g potatoes, cut into chunks
• 3 leeks, sliced
1) Brown the mutton or lamb in a large non-stick pan. Add the bacon and fry for a further 3-4 minutes.
2) Drain off any excess fat and add the carrots, parsnip, swede, onions, stock, peppercorns, cloves, bay leaf and thyme.
3) Season and simmer for 2-3 hours, until the meat and vegetables are very tender.
4) Add the potatoes and leeks and simmer for a further 35 minutes.
5) Serve with crusty bread to mop up the juices.
Click here to buy The Fairy Cook Book.
The Fairy Cook Book, which can be washed in your sink with FairyLiquid or dishwasher with Fairy Active Bursts, is available for £5 and all proceeds will go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.