Johnny Cash has beaten John Keats, Churchill and Jimi Hendricks to pen the most romantic love letter of all time
A hand written note from Johnny Cash to June Carter has been voted the most romantic love letter of all time. The country music star penned the winning letter to his wife in 1994, to mark her 64th birthday - and despite mentioning that the couple 'irritate each other a little bit', it ends with Cash calling Carter 'the greatest women I ever met'.
Here's the letter in full (tissues at the ready):
Happy Birthday Princess,
We get old and get use to each other. We think alike. We read each others minds. We know what the other wants without asking. Sometimes we irritate each other a little bit. Maybe sometimes take each other for granted.
But once in awhile, like today, I meditate on it and realize how lucky I am to share my life with the greatest woman I ever met. You still fascinate and inspire me. You influence me for the better. You’re the object of my desire, the #1 Earthly reason for my existence. I love you very much.
Happy Birthday Princess.
The letter beat some pretty big names (John Keats, anyone?) to top the poll, but as the intense relationship between Johnny Cash and June Carter was depicted in the Oscar-winning film, Walk The Line, it is easy to see why this letter was of so much interest to so many.
Here are some extracts from the other letters that made the top 10:
2. Winston Churchill to his wife, Clementine Churchill, 1935 'My darling Clemmie, in your letter from Madras you wrote some words very dear to me, about having enriched your life. I cannot tell you what pleasure this gave me, because I always feel so overwhelmingly in your debt, if there can be accounts in love.'
3. Poet John Keats to his neighbour Fanny Brawne, 1819 'My love has made me selfish. I cannot exist without you - I am forgetful of every thing but seeing you again - my Life seems to stop there - I see no further. You have absorb'd me. I have a sensation at the present moment as though I was dissolving - I should be exquisitely miserable without the hope of soon seeing you. I should be afraid to separate myself far from you.'
4. Author Ernest Hemingway to actress Marlene Dietrich, 1951 'I can't say how every time I ever put my arms around you I felt that I was home. Nor too many things. But we were always cheerful and jokers together.'
5. Napoleon Bonaparte to Josephine de Beauharnais, 1796 'Since I left you, I have been constantly depressed. My happiness is to be near you. Incessantly I live over in my memory your caresses, your tears, your affectionate solicitude. The charms of the incomparable Josephine kindle continually a burning and a glowing flame in my heart.'
6. Richard Burton to Elizabeth Taylor, 1964 'My blind eyes are desperately waiting for the sight of you. You don't realize of course, EB, how fascinatingly beautiful you have always been, and how strangely you have acquired an added and special and dangerous loveliness.'
7. King Henry VIII to Anne Boleyn, 1527 'I beg to know expressly your intention touching the love between us. Necessity compels me to obtain this answer, having been more than a year wounded by the dart of love, and not yet sure whether I shall fail or find a place in your affection.'
8. Beethoven to his 'Immortal Beloved' (unknown), 1812 'Though still in bed, my thoughts go out to you, my Immortal Beloved, Be calm-love me-today-yesterday-what tearful longings for you-you-you-my life-my all-farewell. Oh continue to love me-never misjudge the most faithful heart of your beloved. Ever thine. Ever mine. Ever ours.' 9. US President Gerald Ford to wife Betty Ford, 1974 'No written words can adequately express our deep, deep love. We know how great you are and we, the children and Dad, will try to be as strong as you. Our Faith in you and God will sustain us. Our total love for you is everlasting.'
10. Jimi Hendrix to a girlfriend, identified only as little girl, date unknown 'little girl..... happiness is within you....so unlock the chains from your heart and let yourself grow - like the sweet flower you are..... I know the answer - Just spread your wings and set yourself FREE Love to you forever Jimi Hendrix
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
The leading destination for fashion, beauty, shopping and finger-on-the-pulse views on the latest issues. Marie Claire's travel content helps you delight in discovering new destinations around the globe, offering a unique – and sometimes unchartered – travel experience. From new hotel openings to the destinations tipped to take over our travel calendars, this iconic name has it covered.
The Fashion Awards 2023 are here and we’re bringing you all the best red carpet looks live
The British Fashion awards are back for another year: check back for the best red carpet looks
By Valeza Bakolli
I'm a Relationships Editor - these are officially the only sex toy advent calendars worth your money this year
Sexual wellness FTW.
By Ally Head
Princess Victoria's rare comment about Kate Middleton is going viral
By Jenny Proudfoot