The former advertising mogul has made headlines this afternoon for his explanation of a heated row with wife Nigella Lawson
Charles Saatchi has landed himself in the top 10 UK trends on Twitter this afternoon after issuing a statement about his alleged row with wife Nigella Lawson.
The pair made headlines yesterday when photographs of them engaging in a row at a London restaurant were published in The Sunday People.
Charles, 70, could be seen with his hands around Nigella’s throat resulting in the tearful TV chef leaving the eatery alone, visibly distressed.
Today, Charles has spoken to The Evening Standard – for which he writes a column, saying: ‘About a week ago, we were sitting outside a restaurant having an intense debate about the children, and I held Nigella’s neck repeatedly while attempting to emphasise my point.
‘There was no grip, it was a playful tiff. The pictures were horrific but give a far more drastic and violent impression of what took place. Nigella’s tears were because we both hate arguing, not because she had been hurt.
‘We had made up by the time we were home. The paparazzi were congregated outside our house after the story broke yesterday morning, so I told Nigella to take the kids off until the dust settled.’
The statement has sparked much debate on social media.
The newspaper reports that Nigella has ‘no immediate plans to return home’, while the star’s agent has declined to comment.
A spokesperson for the restaurant, Scotts in Mayfair, says: ‘The staff and management at Scott’s are aware of the reports in the media and would like to make it clear that they did not see the alleged incident nor were they alerted to it at the time.’
Police confirmed this morning that they were ‘making inquiries’ into the nature of the pictures.