New coroner rules late singer died from alcohol poisoning
Amy Winehouse died because of excessive drinking, a coroner at the second inquest into her death has confirmed today.
The troubled singer, famous for hits including Rehab, Valerie and Back to Black, was found dead in her North London home in July 2011, aged 27.
Coroner Shirley Radcliffe said today at St. Pancras Coroners Court that Winehouse ‘died as a result of alcohol toxicity.
‘She recorded a verdict of death by misadventure and said there had been no suspicious circumstances.
She said that Winehouse was never considered ‘depressed or suicidal’, adding that on the day of her death she had been described as ‘her usual, bubbly self’.
AMY WINEHOUSE- HER TEN BEST TRACKS
A post-mortem examination showed no evidence of illegal drugs in the singer’s system, but it did however reveal that Winehouse had a blood alcohol level five times the legal driving limit, which was well above a level which can prove fatal.
Dr. Radcliffe concluded: ‘I’m satisfied on the balance of probability that Amy voluntarily consumed a large amount of alcohol in a deliberate act that took an unexpected turn and led to the death of a talented young woman at such an early age.’
No members of the soul singer’s family were present at the 45 minute inquest, which was originally concluded in October 2011, but had to be reopened after it was discovered that the coroner was not properly qualified.
Suzanne Greenaway reached the same verdict, but this was not able to stand after it was revealed she had been wrongfully appointed by her husband, Dr Andrew Reid, who was the area’s senior coroner. Both have since resigned from their positions.