The loose, low bun will no doubt be the go-to bridal hairstyle of 2018
Meghan Markle has officially married Prince Harry – or should we call them the Duke and Duchess?
The wedding dress was designed by Clare Waight Keller of Givenchy, but the bride’s make-up and hair were equally elegant and beautiful. ‘We have long seen that the royals have a huge impact on hair trends, especially for special occasion,’ says Fiona McIntosh, Co-Founder and Creative Director of blow LTD.
‘Kate Middleton sparked a huge demand for the bouncy blow dry look back in the early noughties and this classic style is still very much in demand for big events.’
Accompanied with a bandeau tiara on loan from the Queen and a veil embroidered with the flowers of all the Commonwealth countries, Meghan’s hair was worn in a low, loose twisted bun created by Serge Normant.
‘The key to this look is to prep the hair to create the ultimate base with maximum shine and gloss,’ says ghd Global Ambassador Adam Reed. ‘The whole look is ultra feminine, silky and soft to contrast with her structured and fitted dress.’
Read on for Adam’s guide to recreating the bridal hairdo for yourself, plus the tools you’ll need to do the job.
How to get Meghan Markle’s wedding hair
1. Start by creating a centre parting in the hair using the end of the ghd Tail Comb, £7.50, House of Fraser. Make sure the parting is strong and is pulled back to the crown of the head.
2. Blow dry out the hair for a glossy base which will hold and reflect shine throughout the day.
3. Next, add loose waves throughout the hair using the ghd Curve Soft Curl Tong, £120, John Lewis. Loosely wrap the hair around the tong to ensure the curls aren’t too tight or precise.
4. Next, pull the hair back into a low ponytail at the nape of the head. Secure and ensure the ponytail is tight and finish with a spritz of hairspray.
5. Twist sections of the hair around the ponytail to create the low bun. Loosely wrap these sections around the ponytail to create the voluminous undone bun.
6. Finish by creating loose waves around the face frame and complete the look using the Soft Curl Tong. Direct each curl in a different direction for a looser and softer finish, and finish with a spritz of hairspray for hold and shine.