Enjoy this new twist on a classic cocktail
Lemon Grass Sugar Syrup
• 175g (5oz) caster sugar
• 225ml (8fl oz) water
• 4 stalks lemon grass, cut into thirds
• 1 tbs juniper berries
This will make enough syrup for 16 martinis.
For each Martini:
• 50ml (2fl oz) vodka
• 1 tbs Lemon Grass Simple Syrup
• 2 tsp lychee juice (from canned lychees)
• 2 tsp pomegranate juice
• Sparkling water
• Pomegranate seeds
To garnish: cocktail stick, slice of lime and lychees
To make the Sugar Syrup:
1. Mix together the sugar, water, lemon grass pieces and juniper berries in a small saucepan.
2. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sugar is completely dissolved.
3. Strain the syrup into a plastic container and refrigerate until ready to use.
4. The syrup can be kept in the refrigerator for up to one week.
To make the martini:
1. Fill a cocktail shaker with 1 tbs crushed ice.
2. Add the vodka, Lemon Grass Sugar Syrup, lychee juice and pomegranate juice, shake until well mixed and chilled.
3. Strain into a martini glass, top up with sparkling water as desired and add a few pomegranate seeds.
4. Slowly pour the pomegranate juice over the back of a spoon so that the juice settles at the bottom of the glass.
5. Serve immediately, garnished with a lychee and lime slice threaded onto a cocktail stick.
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
The leading destination for fashion, beauty, shopping and finger-on-the-pulse views on the latest issues. Marie Claire's travel content helps you delight in discovering new destinations around the globe, offering a unique – and sometimes unchartered – travel experience. From new hotel openings to the destinations tipped to take over our travel calendars, this iconic name has it covered.
The 5 biggest claims from Endgame, the explosive new royal book from Omid Scobie
It has been making a lot of headlines this week
By Lauren Hughes
Sabrina Carpenter had a hilarious justification for controversial church music video
By Iris Goldsztajn
To officially kick off the festive season, our two expert editors name these 7 beauty gifts the best of the best
Welcome to a Christmas special Beauty Desk Drop
By Shannon Lawlor