Serve with clotted cream as a treat.
You can't beat a gossip over a cuppa, so why not tempt friends round to yours with some tasty teatime classics?
Serve these with clotted cream and Fortnum & Mason's (www.fortnumandmason.com) irresistible rose petal jelly or Nutella. And make sure you use good-quality chocolate – I love the dark chocolate pearls from The Chocolate Society (0845-230 8899, www.chocolate.co.uk).
Ingredients for 12
• 225g self-raising flour • 1tbsp caster sugar • 1tsp baking powder • 50g butter • 40g chocolate drops • 1 egg, beaten • about 75ml milk, plus a little extra for brushing • icing sugar, for dusting
1) Put the flour, sugar and baking powder into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
2) Rub in the butter, then fold in the chocolate drops (if you're using The Chocolate Society pearls, chop them up a little first, as they're quite big).
3) Next, add the egg and enough milk to make a softish dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out quickly and lightly, until about 2cm thick. Brush the surface of the dough with a little milk, then cut out 12 x 4cm rounds.
4) Transfer to a baking sheet and bake at gas mark 7/220ºC/425ºF for about 8 minutes or until well risen.
5) Cool slightly, then sprinkle with icing sugar.
6) Best served warm while the chocolate is still molten.
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
The leading destination for fashion, beauty, shopping and finger-on-the-pulse views on the latest issues. Marie Claire's travel content helps you delight in discovering new destinations around the globe, offering a unique – and sometimes unchartered – travel experience. From new hotel openings to the destinations tipped to take over our travel calendars, this iconic name has it covered.
Your first look at the Dr. Martens x GANNI collab (aka the boots of the season)
The Danish brand puts their spin on the Jadon boot
By Natalie Hughes
As a Health Editor, trust me when I say: you need to know about this new-gen at-home STI screening
It's proving seriously impressive.
By Ally Head
This under-the-radar Jo Malone perfume is easily one of my most complimented—and I think it deserves more praise
The epitome of luxury
By Lucy Abbersteen