A hot winter salad to drive the sniffles away
• 100g pearl barley
• 3 Sheepdrove chicken fillets, boneless and skin removed (or alternative chicken fillets)
• 250g baby spinach leaves
• small bunch of parsley, chopped
• small bunch of mint, chopped
• 200g cherry tomatoes
• 100g pine nuts, toasted
• juice of 1 lemon
• 4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• a handful of dry berries, such as cherries or cranberries
• sea salt and pepper
1) Pre-heat oven to 200ºC.
2) Place the pearl barley in about a litre of hot water and cook on a medium heat for about 20 minutes until soft. Drain and discard the water.
3) Place the tomatoes in the pre-heated oven, drizzle with 2tbsp of olive oil and roast them for 25 minutes.
4) Heat the remaining olive oil in a non-stick pan and add the chicken. Season with sea salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes on each side until the chicken is cooked through. Set aside to cool.
5) Place the barley, spinach, parsley, mint, tomatoes and pine nuts in a large bowl and mix gently.
6) Slice the chicken and add to the salad along with the lemon juice. Season to taste, toss gently and serve immediately.