With so many colours, shapes and styles, finding a bridesmaid dress that will keep all your maids happy can seem like an impossible task. That's why we've asked India Sellars, co-founder of Maids to Measure, to give us her top tips.
It’s your wedding, your day and you’re the most important person. Well, almost. Yes, the bridesmaids, your beloved friends, who you’ve chosen for the big day, are an integral part too. So, here are some top tips for making your ‘besties’ feel their best.
1. Do not leave your lovely ladies until last. The colour and style of the bridesmaid dresses will reflect the theme and style of the wedding. Once you have your bridesmaid dresses you can get a real feel as to the direction you want to take the wedding.
2. Don’t be stubborn when it comes to colour. As much as it’s important to have the colour you’ve always dreamt of, think about the skin tone of your maids. Don’t ignore it if your chosen hue washes one of your maids out. It’s just not fair. Also take into consideration the season, setting and the colour of your bridal dress. Instead of block colours, you could try pretty floral or patterned fabrics, or have the girls each wearing a different, but complementary, tone. Take your time and consider your options.
3. One dress doesn’t fit all. Unless your friends are a gaggle of models, all your bridesmaids will be different shapes and sizes. At somewhere like Maids to Measure your bridesmaids can have different style dresses all in the same colour and fabric, or the same style dresses in different colours and fabrics. It’s important that each and every one of your maids is happy, so feel free to mix things up.
4. Don’t let the shoes be an afterthought. Especially if your chosen bridesmaid dress is short and the shoes are going to be constantly on display.
5. Keep your bridesmaids warm. Certain venues, churches and outside receptions can be very chilly, so it’s handy to make sure your maids have little shrugs, scarfs, or pashminas to keep them snug should they get cold. Goosebumps are not a good look.
6. It’s all in the preparation. If you’re having your dresses made, make sure you have the correct underwear and shoes at the fitting. Made to measure dresses need fittings and alterations to ensure the perfect fit, so this will help and speed up the process.
7. Don’t panic if one of your bridesmaids falls pregnant. You need to be thinking comfort for her; floaty rather than fitted, empire lines and relaxed fabrics. For example, chiffon is a lot lighter and cooler than satin.
8. Have fun. Choosing bridesmaids dresses is notoriously stressful and it’s often quite hard to get everyone to agree. Avoid all this by making a day of it and make sure there is a glass of bubbly waiting at the end as a thank you to your lovely maids.
Find out more about Maids to Measure.